The surgery for the eardrum is carried out if a patient has a perforation or hole in his/her eardrum.The surgery for the middle ear is performed to treat any damage to the bone chain of the middle ear.Tympanoplasty is a Minimal Invasive Surgery which is performed for the rebuilding of the eardrum which is also call a tympanic membrane & also for the reconstruction of the middle ear or Ossicles.
Types of Tympanoplasty
Tympanoplasty can be classified under 5 broad types:
1. Type I- The mechanism treats the tympanic membrane/eardrum.
2. Type II- This mechanism reconstructs the eardrum and middle ear.
3. Type III- In this mechanism, a surgeon removes the ossicles and epitympanum with issues like malleus or incus.
4. Type IV- The mechanism is conducted to rebuild movable stapes foot plate and missing cura.
5. Type V- In this mechanism, a surgeon rebuilds a fixed stapes footplate.
Reasons of Surgery
If a patient has a perforation or hole in his/her eardrum, surgery for the eardrum is been carried out. To treat any damage to the bone chain of the middle ear, this surgery is performed on the middle ear.
Mechanism for Surgery1. Two approaches are available which a surgeon can opt.
2. In the first procedure, an incision through the ear canal or behind the ear & grafting the affected area is made by the surgeon.
3. Surgery can be performed either under local or general anaesthesia as preferred by the surgeon.
4. Both the mechanisms are Minimal invasive mechanisms and are conducted within an hour’s time. A patient can be taken care of under day care as well.