Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
We are proud to have the most experienced Cardiothoracic and Vascular surgical team in the entire country.
Our surgical team has a vast experience of performing all types of Cardiac procedures like:
- Coronary Bypass Surgery
- Surgery for Valve Disease
- Surgery for Aneurysm and Arrhythmia
- management of Heart Failure with various surgical procedures including LVAD
- Transplant is also available
All types of Thoracic, VATS as well as Vascular procedures are also performed at our facility.
Coronary Arteries Bypass Surgery
- At the BLK Heart Centre, we constantly strive to offer benefits by tapping into latest medical innovations and research breakthroughs. Currently, there is evidence supporting the increased use of arterial grafting during CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting), especially BIMA (Bilateral Internal Mammary Arteries).
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft surgery is a surgical procedure that helps treating coronary artery diseases, wherein a wax-like substance called plaque builds inside blood vessels that are responsible for supplying oxygen to the heart.
- During this procedure, a healthy blood vessel from the leg, arm or chest is connected to the heart. This creates a new pathway around the blocked artery helping blood flow to be restored.
- Typically, grafting of three main native coronary arteries is required in most coronary bypass patients.
- However, it has been seen that about 90% patients have their leg veins removed during CABG. But with our cumulative experience of 25,000 cardiac operations and over 4000 Arterial Bypass Operations (BIMA), we have successfully used arterial grafts with no cuts on legs in about 85% of our patients.
- Studies have proven that not only does arterial grafting stay patent for a long time, but also reduces the chances of re-operating after CABG.
Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (MICS)
- Due to the latest medical advancements, it is now possible to use Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery or Minimally Access Surgery in most cases. In this procedure, surgeons make a small incision on the chest instead of open heart surgery.
- Unlike sternotomy and cardiopulmonary bypass, which are associated with high morbidity during postoperative period, surgeons don’t cut through the breastbone.
- Rather, cardiac surgeries are performed through small thoracotomy incisions either on the right or left side of chest.
- This avoids sternotomy, the most invasive as well as traumatic part of cardiac surgery. Nowadays, the minimally invasive approach is not just for adults, but is also being taken in pediatric cases.
- The advantages of MICS include: The procedure requires small thoracotomy incisions which result in less noticeable scars.Patients undergoing MICS report lesser postoperative pain and discomfort. Since there are no long incisions there is less risk of infection. There is reduced ICE and shorter hospital stay, improved postoperative pulmonary function and early recovery.Since there are smaller incisions, there is lesser tissue damage resulting in better cosmetic results. Also, MICS leads to better quality of life and increased life expectancy.
Heart Failure and Transplant
- Our top-of-the-line facilities enable us to provide advanced medical treatment to our patients. At BLK Super Specialty Hospital, our team of cardiologists and surgeons has the necessary expertise in delivering treatment through ICD (Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator), cardiac resynchronization therapies, LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Devices) and performing heart transplants with precision.
- Our Heart Team offers beneficial long-term solutions to patients of heart disease and our world-class infrastructure help avoid poor prognosis in a number of terminal conditions.
The Aorta Centre
Our team of cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and interventional radiologists offer customized treatments for patients with complex aneurysm through various investigations such as 2D echocardiography, CT Angiography and Cardiac Catheterization.
Our hybrid treatment for aneurysm helps produce optimum results. Not only does it minimizes incision, but also reduces the time for operations and facilitates quick recovery.
Centre for Valvular Diseases
Our surgical team has experts who specialize in Valvular Diseases. The Valve Surgeons are highly skilled in valve repair surgery and have produced positive outcomes for patients. The surgery can be paired with minimal access surgery to get best results. Another option is valve replacement.
In most cases, heart valve replacement is similar to an open heart operation where the surgeon opens the chest and heart to remove the damaged valve and a new artificial/prosthetic valve is then put into place. In some cases, the maze procedure can be performed along with the valve surgery if the patient has atrial fibrillation.