What are the different Cancer treatment options
Cancer is one of the most deadly diseases and the leading cause of death in old people. The main reason for this is because most of the cancers take years to develop. They are present since a long time but detected only when they have reached an advanced stage. Not only the treatment is highly difficult but also the fatality rate increases. This is why Cancer is considered one of the most dangerous diseases. If you are suffering from it, then contact BLK which gives you the best cancer treatment in India.
There are more than 100 different types of cancer known to human beings and the symptoms as well as treatment differ for each and everyone. The same goes for the risk factors. But there are some common risk factors too. Some of the common risk factors as mentioned by top cancer specialist in India are as follows –
· Most of the cases are identified when the patient has reached an advanced age.
· Tobacco is the leading cause of fatality in Cancer. 1 in every 5 deaths happens due to tobacco only. It causes various types of Cancer such as lung cancer, larynx, mouth, esophagus, throat, bladder, kidney, stomach, colon etc.
· There are cancer causing substances in the nature however there is no exact proof of that. Some of them are aflatoxins, arsenic, asbestos, benzidine, beryllium, cadmium, erionite etc.
· Top cancer hospitals in India also state radiation energy as one of the risk factor. They have enough energy to damage DNA and cause cancer.
· Hormones play physiological roles in both males and females but they are also associated with an increased risk of Cancer. For ex – menopausal hormone therapy increases risk of breast cancer.
The branch of medicine which deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Cancer is known as Oncology. One of the ways is to get rid of it with the help of medical oncology. Chemotherapy comes under it. In this treatment method, drugs are used to kill affected cells. It can be a single or combination of several drugs. The basic function is to keep the cancer cells from growing and dividing to make more cells. All of this happens very swiftly. But there is also damage to healthy cells.
The use of chemotherapy depends on the type and extent of cancer. It may be used in combination with surgery or radiation surgery. It can also be used as a sole treatment method in cases like leukemia and lymphoma. There are different types of chemotherapy. One of them is targeted therapy. As the name suggests, specific drugs target blocking genes that are found in the cancer cells and kills them. Another type is immunotherapy. It is the type of treatment which instead of targeting tumor, it targets body’s immune system to fight the disease. Immunotherapy helps the body’s natural defenses work better in destroying cancer cells. Some of the common types are oncolytic virus therapy, T-cell therapy etc.
The method which uses radiation energy to kill tumor is known as radiation oncology in India. High energy X-rays are used to kill cancer cells. It requires more than one session. One advantage it has over chemotherapy is that the affected cells are destroyed without harming the nearby healthy tissue. More than half the people require radiation oncology at least. In some cases, it is not possible to destroy all of the cancer cells. The symptoms in those cases are eased with the help of palliative radiation therapy. It reduces pain as well as pressure. One of the most common is external beam radiation therapy which delivers radiation from outside the body.