How to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal cancer
A group of diseases in which there is abnormal division of cells is known as cancer. It may cause a growth of mass which is the most obvious symptom but only in advanced stages. It has the potential to invade different parts of the body. Any part of the body may be hit. Group of this disease which affects the digestive system is known as gastrointestinal cancer. It includes all the related body parts such as esophagus, gallbladder, liver, pancreas, stomach, small intestine, bowel and anus. BLK’s team of gastrointestinal oncologists, with their unmatched expertise, depth of knowledge, has the capabilities to give the best gastrointestinal cancer treatment in India.
GI Cancer is treatment in India is given by first identifying the symptoms such as –
· Indigestion of food.
· Pain in the abdomen.
· Sensation of food getting stuck while eating.
· Vomiting blood or having blood in stool.
Gastric cancer treatment in India requires full diagnosis of the problem. It is done with the help of the following tests –
· Barium swallow – liquid containing barium is swallowed and then a series of X-rays are taken. It coats the lining of the esophagus, stomach and intestines so that the tumor of these parts is easily visible.
· Pet scans – a pet scan prepares images of organs and tissues of the body. If there is something wrong with the digestive system, then it is shown in this test.
Stomach cancer treatment in India is first tried with the help of chemotherapy. There is no set pattern of drugs that are given but includes combination of Cisplatin and Fluorouracil. Some of the other drugs which are administered are Capecitabine, Docetaxel, Epirubicin etc. Surgery is also an option. If the tumor is only in the stomach, then part of the stomach and nearby lymph nodes is removed. If it has spread to outer parts, then chemotherapy is mixed along with it.
Head and neck are other parts of the body which are prone to cancer. This term is used for cancers that develop in and around the throat, larynx, nose and sinuses. They are identified with the help of the following symptoms –
· Sore or a swelling which is not healing.
· Red or white patch visible in the mouth.
· Blood in the saliva.
· Lump in the head or neck area.
Diagnosis is done with the help of the following tests –
· Physical tests – it is a basic test in which the doctor feels for any lumps and mass in the neck or mouth.
· Panoramic radiograph – X-ray of the upper and lower jawbones to detect cancer.
Head cancer hospitals in India use laser technology to treat an early stage tumor and especially if it is found in larynx. If the cancer has spread then the doctor removes lymph nodes in the neck. Reconstructive surgery is needed when if there is major tissue removal such as removing jaw, skin, pharynx or tongue etc.